NOTE:
SAFARI seems to no longer work
for comments...use another browser?

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Lucky Seven

Seymour Jacklin tagged me on his blog, seymourjacklin.co.uk.  I like his self-description on twitter: Freelancing & freewheeling. Tweeting about my passions: writing, editing, non-violence, sustainability, veganism, faith, grammar, Bach, Jazz and creativity.  He also doodles in a big way, and he posts a story every week. Here are the meme rules:

  • Go to page 7 or 77 in your current manuscript
  • Go to line 7
  • Post on your blog the next 7 lines, or sentences, as they are – no cheating!
  • Tag 7 other authors to do the same

  • I have four manuscripts in the pipeline and another I'm fooling with at the moment, so what shall I do? Two are poetry (Thaliad and The Foliate Head), two are fiction (Glimmerglass and Maze of Blood.) The manuscript I've never sent out is The Book of the Red King. I could do my brand new book, A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage, but that would be cheating--and besides, you can go and look at page 7 and the whole first chapter at Scribd.

    So instead I shall look in the Red King manuscript. If I take the first poem as page one, then page seven and line seven (counting the title) yield up this:

    The feather tumbled from a far

    Fetched place above the walls of world,
    A flower of ice, the petals furled,

    A wine the came some thousand miles
    From the floating Fortunate Isles.

    The Fool sets table for the King
    With pins and ragged skittles-string,

    You can see the whole thing at Mezzo Cammin--fourth poem down.

    Tags:
    No doubt some of these will rebel. Will they capitulate to meme-doom, or will they kick against the mighty meme?  I might still rebel, if I don't click the little button that says "Publish" eternally. After all, memes can pester and annoy. But if I do not, you will never know. Never!

    1.  Clare Dudman, novelist:  Keeper of the Snails
    2.  Luisa Igloria, poet: luisaigloria.com
    3.  Seb Doubinsky, novelist: sebdoubinsky.blogspot.com/
    4.  Beth Adams, writer and artist: The Cassandra Pages
    5.  Robert Freeman Wexler, novelist: Laconic Writer
    6.  Rebecca Kuder, novelist: Being the Blog of Rebecca Kuder
    7.  Robbi Nester, poet: Shadow Knows

    Read chapter one of A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage at Scribd

    2 comments:

    1. So kind of you to capitulate, Marly. Thank you for the linkage. I love the sample, too - just the kind of thing that makes me ask why I don't write any poetry these days. This kind of interaction always inspires me to go back to the page, though.

      Have a great week (what's left of it) and good luck with the interminable "to-do" list of life :-)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Luisa Igloria has already capitulated in turn (on facebook.)

      Yes, why don't you write some poems? What a good idea!

      Thanks for asking, Seymour--I'd been to your blog before, by the by. Shall have to go back and visit when the list lets me.

      ReplyDelete

    Alas, I must once again remind large numbers of Chinese salesmen and other worldwide peddlers that if they fall into the Gulf of Spam, they will be eaten by roaming Balrogs. The rest of you, lovers of grace, poetry, and horses (nod to Yeats--you do not have to be fond of horses), feel free to leave fascinating missives and curious arguments.